JANUARY 24-31, 2017
Held at The Lodge at Pico Bonito, recently named one of the “Top 50 eco-lodges of the world” by National Geographic Traveler
VIEW COMPLETE ITINERARY
$2,900 double occupancy / $3,600 single occupancy
I’ve been dreaming up this program for years and once I visited The Lodge at Pico Bonito in Honduras, I knew it had to happen there. Our first sketching holiday in January was a sold-out hit so I’m excited to bring it back to you again!
My goals are to inspire you to look more deeply and empower you to sketch more freely. I can’t wait to meet you in one of the most beautiful places on Earth!
- Luxurious accommodations; the Lodge at Pico Bonito, with your own private cabin, veranda and hammock.
- Daily workshops and presentations; learn about sketching tools and techniques and local natural history.
- Visit Cuero y Salado Coastal Wildlife Refuge by train and boat through mangrove estuaries to view monkeys, crocodiles, blue morpho butterflies and myriad wetland birds.
- Visit Rio Santiago Nature Resort; the “Hummingbird Capital of Honduras.”
- Private naturalist-led hikes; stroll through the rainforest jungle with English-speaking Lodge guides.
- 400 acres of tropical flora; orchids, bromeliads, hibiscus, heliconia, and much more, right on the property.
- Over 100 species of easily seen tropical birds; oropendolas, parrots, woodpeckers, motmots, toucans, trogons, tanagers, and up to 15 species of tropical hummingbirds. Birds will regularly visit the Lodge’s easily observed fruit and nectar feeders, practically posing for your pencil and paintbrush!
- Plenty of free time; opportunities for daily private reflection and relaxation. Options include: swimming in the pool or rivers; sitting on the lodge deck sipping a beverage and watching hummingbirds whiz by; or exploring the lush gardens and trails on your own. Or, you may choose to simple snooze in your private hammock, enjoying the exotic sounds of the jungle.
- Conservation Funding: a portion of our proceeds will support habitat conservation in the region.
- Space is limited to a maximum of 8 participants for a high quality and intimate experience!
PRAISE FROM PARTICIPANTS
“I want to say again how wonderful our trip was to Honduras. I loved everything about it. There are so many nice memories, and it was lots of fun trying to sketch plants and animals, and great food, and a really lovely place to stay. Esdras our guide was fab, and so were you. Thanks again for a great trip”
—Kris Falco, Oregon
“Should you be interested in visiting Honduras, I strongly recommend this trip”
-Robin Duska, Florida
“Thanks to Christine for a wonderful trip and an excellent introduction to nature sketching! I had a fantastic time and am leaving Honduras inspired and looking forward to future travels with her! This trip is a fantastic opportunity to enjoy a beautiful country, spectacular fauna and flora, and nurture your creative spirit! Christine is a gifted artist and wonderful instructor. I learned so much from her on my trip to Honduras in January. ”
—Veronica Bowers, California
Your trip fee includes Christine’s new online course, Introduction to Nature Sketching, which comprises eight modules through which you can progress at your own pace, either before the retreat or anytime afterwards. It covers basic skills for sketching plants and birds in the field, taught using video tutorials and downloadable ebooks.
This course normally sells for $125, but trip participants receive it for free! Check out the Nature Sketching Online Course page to learn more.
ABOUT YOUR LEADER
You’ll study with professional naturalist, teaching artist, and biological illustrator, Christine Elder. Her experience as a freelance illustrator includes projects for organizations such as the National Park Service and the Botanical Society of America. Christine has been teaching people of all ages and ability levels to draw and paint nature’s wonders for over twenty years. Recently, Christine led bird sketching workshops at birding festivals in Jamaica and Mexico and is a frequent arts instructor in her home state of Oregon. Christine is running this retreat through the bird watching tour company Paradise Birding, for which she is a co-leader of tours with them, having traveled from Alaska to Florida, and to international destinations such as Italy, Mexico, and the Caribbean. In the Honduran paradise that is Pico Bonito, she will share her best secrets and techniques for sketching birds and blossoms in pencil, pen and watercolor.
“Christine Elder has a refreshingly welcoming approach to teaching about birds through art that reflects her obvious passion for wildlife and conservation of our natural environment. Whether at her home in Oregon or visiting us deep in the tropics at the Vallarta Botanical Garden, she has a marvelous potential to connect people with birds in a rich and meaningful way” – Neil Gerlowski, Executive Director, Vallarta Botanical Garden
$2,900 double occupancy / $3,600 single occupancy
Retreat fee includes: 7 nights lodging; 3 meals & snacks per day; guiding and instruction; group activities; entrance fees; service-related gratuities; airport transfers in a comfortable air-conditioned van;and some art supplies.
Not included: Airfare to San Pedro Sula (SAP); travel insurance; alcoholic beverages; personal items (such as telephone and laundry); and U.S. guide’s gratuity, which is never expected but always appreciated based on your satisfaction with our skills and service.
Deposit: A $100 non-refundable deposit and enrollment form are required to hold your space on the trip. The balance is due by September 24th, 2016.
REFUND POLICY: Your $100 deposit is non-refundable. If you cancel your reservation more than 90 days prior to the tour, you will be refunded any payments above your deposit. If you cancel between 90 and 60 days prior to the tour, you will receive a 50% refund of fees paid over the deposit. If you cancel less than 60 days prior, you forfeit your entire tour fee, unless you can fill your space with another participant. If you cancel at any time, your deposit is transferrable to any Paradise Birding tour at any time in the future. We reserve the right to cancel the trip if it is not meeting the trip minimum (if we do so your deposit is refunded in full).
Inquiries welcome! Instructor and guide, Christine Elder: email@example.com
Phone: 831-227-6996 Paradise Birding owner, Stephen Shunk: firstname.lastname@example.org Phone: 541-408-1753 Paradise Birding, P.O. Box 547, Sisters, OR 97759
To reserve your space on the trip, complete the registration form included in the Itinerary and submit it with your $100 deposit. This retreat is run through Paradise Birding, a bird watching tour company for which Christine is a regular co-leader.
Our Destination: The Lodge at Pico Bonito
A short film highlighting the beauty of our tropical destination
Our favorite bird we filmed in Honduras
A cute squirrel we filmed in Honduras
Visit my travel blog from our bird watching scouting trip to Honduras and The Lodge at Pico Bonito in January 2015.
Links to our Honduras photo albums