3rd Annual Nature Artist’s Sketching Holiday led by naturalist/artist Christine Elder at Honduras’s Lodge and Spa at Pico Bonito, named one of the “Top 50 eco-lodges of the world” by National Geographic Traveler.
Date: February 13-21, 2020 ; Fee: $2,850 double / $3,700 single
Watch the Video!
DOWNLOAD THE COMPLETE ITINERARY
- Luxurious accommodations; the Lodge at Pico Bonito, with your own private cabin, veranda, and hammock.
- Daily workshops and presentations; learn about sketching tools and techniques and local natural history.
- Visit Cuero y Salado Coastal Wildlife Refuge by train and boat through mangrove estuaries to view monkeys, crocodiles, blue morpho butterflies, and myriad wetland birds.
- Visit Rio Santiago Nature Resort; the “Hummingbird Capital of Honduras.”
- Private naturalist-led hikes; stroll through the rainforest jungle with English-speaking Lodge guides.
- 400 acres of tropical flora; orchids, bromeliads, hibiscus, heliconia, and much more, right on the property.
- Over 100 species of easily seen tropical birds; oropendolas, parrots, woodpeckers, motmots, toucans, trogons, tanagers, and up to 15 species of tropical hummingbirds. Birds will regularly visit the Lodge’s easily observed fruit and nectar feeders, practically posing for your pencil and paintbrush!
- Plenty of free time; opportunities for daily private reflection and relaxation. Options include: swimming in the pool or rivers; sitting on the lodge deck sipping a beverage and watching hummingbirds whiz by or exploring the lush gardens and trails on your own. Or, you may choose to simple snooze in your private hammock, enjoying the exotic sounds of the jungle.
- Conservation Funding: a portion of the proceeds will support habitat conservation in the region.
- Space is limited to a maximum of 8 participants for a high-quality and intimate experience!
- BONUS: free lifetime access to Christine’s monthly art membership program, The Nature Nook.
PRAISE FROM PARTICIPANTS
I thoroughly enjoyed my sketching trip to Honduras with Christine Elder. It was the perfect combination of seeing incredible wildlife, learning new sketching skills, seeing birds that I’ve never seen before, and enjoying some of the best food I’ve ever tasted. This trip has changed my idea for future travel. I love that my travel dollars went to helping preserve nature in a pristine environment, and making Honduras a better country through tourism (rather than agribusiness farming). I came home inspired to paint all the beautiful wildlife that I had experienced while there and I have noticed that my sketching skills have improved dramatically! I’m still glowing about our vacation, it was perfect!
-Julie Herlinger, California
I want to say again how wonderful our trip was to Honduras. I loved everything about it. There are so many nice memories, and it was lots of fun trying to sketch plants and animals, and great food, and a really lovely place to stay. Esdras our guide was fab, and so were you. Thanks again for a great trip
—Kris Falco, Oregon
Should you be interested in visiting Honduras, I strongly recommend this trip
-Robin Duska, Florida
“Thanks to Christine for a wonderful trip and an excellent introduction to nature sketching! I had a fantastic time and am leaving Honduras inspired and looking forward to future travels with her! This trip is a fantastic opportunity to enjoy a beautiful country, spectacular fauna and flora, and nurture your creative spirit! Christine is a gifted artist and wonderful instructor. I learned so much from her on my trip to Honduras in January. ”
—Veronica Bowers, California
I attended Christine’s 2018 trip. She delivers an amazingly well-planned week utilizing all of the nature and beauty of the area. Christine’s knowledge and enthusiasm, paired with the peaceful setting, make it a perfect experience. It’s more than I can describe with words. DO IT! It’s worth it for sure!”
—Dorothy Gates, Oregon
ABOUT YOUR LEADER
You’ll study with professional naturalist, teaching artist, and biological illustrator, Christine Elder. Her experience as a freelance illustrator includes projects for organizations such as the National Park Service and the Botanical Society of America. Christine has been teaching people of all ages and ability levels to draw and paint nature’s wonders for over twenty years. Christine has led bird sketching workshops at birding festivals in Jamaica and Mexico and is a frequent arts instructor in her home state of Oregon.
Christine is running this retreat through the bird watching tour company Paradise Birding, for which she has been a co-leader of tours with them over the last 7 years, having traveled from Alaska to Florida, and to international destinations such as Italy, Mexico, Borneo, Peru, and the Caribbean. In the Honduran paradise that is Pico Bonito, she will share her best secrets and techniques for sketching birds and blossoms in pencil, pen, and watercolor.
“Christine Elder has a refreshingly welcoming approach to teaching about birds through art that reflects her obvious passion for wildlife and conservation of our natural environment. Whether at her home in Oregon or visiting us deep in the tropics at the Vallarta Botanical Garden, she has a marvelous potential to connect people with birds in a rich and meaningful way”
– Neil Gerlowski, Executive Director, Vallarta Botanical Garden
$2,850 double occupancy / $3,700 single occupancy
Retreat fee includes 8 nights lodging; 3 meals & snacks per day; guiding and instruction; group activities; entrance fees; service-related gratuities; airport transfers in a comfortable air-conditioned van; and some art supplies.
Not included: Airfare to San Pedro Sula (SAP); travel insurance; alcoholic beverages; personal items (such as telephone and laundry); and U.S. guide’s gratuity, which is never expected but always appreciated based on your satisfaction with our skills and service.
Deposit: A $500 deposit and enrollment form are required to hold your space on the trip.
REFUND POLICY: $100 of your deposit is non-refundable. If you cancel your reservation more than 120 days prior to the tour, you will be refunded any payments above your deposit. If you cancel between 119 and 90 days prior to the tour, you will receive a 50% refund of fees paid over the deposit. If you cancel less than 90 days prior, you forfeit your entire tour fee, unless you can fill your space with another participant. If you cancel at any time, your deposit is transferable to any Paradise Birding tour at any time in the future. We reserve the right to cancel the trip if it is not meeting the trip minimum (if we do so your deposit is refunded in full).
DOWNLOAD THE COMPLETE ITINERARY