I’d like you to think about all of the benefits you could reap from developing a routine nature sketching practice. This exercise will hopefully inspire you to pick up your pencil & journal and get outside more often. Listed below are just a few of the benefits of nature sketching and journaling that my students and I have enjoyed over the years:
Nature Sketching’s Many Benefits :
• Benefits our mental health, allowing time for quiet contemplation, meditation, and mindfulness of your surroundings, and improves our ability for sustained concentration.
• Benefits our physical health, giving us a great excuse to spend time exploring the outdoors, whether it’s a stroll in a local city park or a hike on a favorite wilderness trail.
• Provides a much-needed break from our technology-filled, over-stimulated world.
• Deepens one’s observational skills, balancing out the use of all five senses.
• Provides a valuable record of your experiences in your sketchbook; more personal and cherished than simply a smartphone full of photos.
• Results in pride of accomplishment since one is creating instead of consuming content.
• Strengthens hand-eye coordination and fine motor skills which are especially beneficial for children.
• Uses more parts of the brain, balancing our ‘left’ and ‘right’ sides of the brain regions.
• Teaches one about the subject as you observe it, regardless of the results on the paper. This is a great reason to sketch with the children or students in your life, especially those that are studying outdoor subjects like biology, geology, or meteorology.
I highly recommend this excellent article in Scientific American magazine, Rediscovering the forgotten benefits of drawing.
- Brainstorm a list of the benefits you see to a nature sketching practice in your own life, including any of the above that you feel applies to you, as well as new ones you think of. You might like to keep this list in the front of your sketchbook or post it somewhere prominent in your house to remind and inspire you to pick up your pencil and sketchbook more often!
- Extra credit: share a photo of your list, or simply your favorite, most motivating reason on our Facebook page.
Show Your Support
If you are finding value in the lessons from this Nature Sketching Challenge, I invite you to consider donating funds to support me in the creation and ongoing improvement of this program. Even the smallest donation helps me to know that I’m providing lessons that inspire, entertain and educate you about the natural world.
Click the Paypal ‘Donate’ button below to donate any amount you wish. You do not need to have a Paypal account to donate, you may choose to use a credit card if you wish. Thank you!