Tidbits only some folks know about me
My love of wildlife borders on the insane, like:
- My friends tease me about the time I was a poor but compassionate college student and bought a live lobster from Safeway with my food stamps and let it go in the ocean!
- I once kept a black widow spider as a pet (until her egg case hatched!)
- I performed surgery on a bumblebee to free it from a spider’s web.
- I ran out in the middle of rush hour traffic to save a dog.
- I rescued an injured mouse from a roadside.
- I’ve spent more money at the vet’s office than I ever have on my own health.
- I love collecting owl pellets and dissecting out the rodent skeletons contained within.
Other silly facts:
- I used to compete in underwater hockey – yes, it’s a real sport and I even played at the national level.
- I love designing my own Halloween costumes and have even won a few costume contests!
- I prefer skinny dipping in a pristine river over swimming in an infinity pool in Cabo.
- I rode a Harley Davidson motorcycle 25,000 miles (no, not all at once!)
Adventures Afield and Abroad
I am blessed to travel frequently with my partner, Stephen Shunk, of Paradise Birding, working as a naturalist and co-leader of bird watching tours, where we seek out such exotic species as Whooping Cranes in Texas, King Eiders in Alaska, Toucans in Honduras and Flamingos in the Mediterranean.