April is officially National Frog Month in the United States. It’s the time of year when many frogs emerge from hibernation and begin their nightly chorus from local creeks and ponds.
In observance of National Frog Month, you can find some resources for learning more about frogs and also some demonstrations on how to sketch them.
TIPS FOR SKETCHING A FROG (AND ANYTHING ELSE TOO!)
Watch the video below to learn the steps I use to draw anything, using a tree frog as an example
- Second, watch my 13-minute video tutorial below and follow along as I outline my foundational drawing techniques.
Leopard Frog Workshop
Below you’ll find a full workshop on frogs with an emphasis on the endangered Chiricahua Leopard Frog that lives in the deserts of the American Southwest. First, download your leopard frog reference image, then watch the 70-minute video below.
Resources for learning more about frogs
- Amphibian Ark curriculum materials: Link to amphibian educational materials
- AmphibiaWeb: Teacher resources, lesson plans, coloring pages, songs, & fun educational activities about amphibians
- Amphibian species database & continually updated bibliography of the newest amphibian research
- Conservation website from the Amphibian Survival Alliance & IUCN Amphibian Specialist Group
READ MORE STORIES and SKETCHING WORKSHOP ABOUT FROGS
- How to Draw Dart Frogs
- How to Draw a Red-eyed Tree Frog
- World Frog Day and frogs I’ve met in Costa Rica
- Tiny but Stunning Dart Frogs
- A movie about endangered frogs by Jonathan Kolby