Dia de los Muertos Art Workshop
Join me to celebrate Dia de los Muertos with an art workshop. We will paint marigolds in watercolor and the skull in a very realistic carbon-dust technique!
CLICK HERE TO REGISTER FOR THE WORKSHOP
-Click here to download the Skull and Marigold reference photo (please trace the outline onto sturdy smooth paper such as illustration board or hot press watercolor paper.
–Click here to download optional Skull and Marigold pen outline.
-Click here to download the viewfinder and value scale template.
–Click here to download the supply list
- Skull and Marigolds handout
- Viewfinder and Value Scale handout
- Paper – preferable a sturdy thick paper such as illustration board or hot press watercolor paper.
- General watercolor painting supplies (for the marigolds).
- Light sketching pencil (like a 2H).
- Fine-tipped permanent ink pen.
- Willow charcoal sticks or charcoal/graphite pencils (such as General’s carbon sketch pencil or Wolff carbon pencil).
- Opaque white media such as pencils, pastels, pens.
- Emery board/nail file or preferably ultra fine-grained sandpaper sheet (like 600 grit).
- Erasers – preferably a fine-tipped eraser pencil in pencil form like the Tombow mono zero eraser and/or the Tombow mono sand eraser.
- Blending stomp – preferably in small and medium sizes.
- Soft watercolor brush or makeup brush for gently brushing away errant dust.
- Brushes in a variety of sizes and styles for applying and blending the carbon/charcoal dust.
- Scrap paper for protecting your drawing from the oily palm of your hand (wash your hands thoroughly before beginning your carbon dust drawing).
- Optional: hair dryer to speed the drying of paint.
NOTE: Please draw an outline of the Marigolds and Skull image in permanent waterproof ink onto your paper before class since we will be focusing our time on painting the marigolds and drawing the skull in a very detailed and realistic carbon dust technique. Make sure to wash hands thoroughly to remove oils that can repel the carbon dust and watercolor paint.