International Vulture Awareness Day is observed annually on the first Saturday of September. In honor of the occasion, I’m sharing this presentation in which you’ll learn fascinating facts about the two families of the world’s vultures, including the endangered Egyptian Vulture.
I’ll share the distinguishing characteristics of vultures, give examples of some of the species in both families, and also review the diverse threats posed to vultures that are causing many species to decline worldwide. In the second half of the presentation, I’ll lead you in a detailed step-by-step demonstration of drawing a realistic vulture in shading graphite pencils using an endangered Egyptian Vulture as our model.
Getting the most out of this workshop
- First, download the Vulture Sketching Cheat Sheet.
- Next, gather some sketching pencils and paper.
- Clear your schedule for this 75-minute workshop and click the image below to begin. Enjoy!
CLICK HERE to download your Egyptian Vulture Cheat Sheet (as seen below)
Learn More About Vultures
You can learn more about vultures and the many threats they face on the conservation websites below.
- International Vulture Awareness Day website: lots of educational resources and downloadable materials.
- Vulture Conservation Foundation
- Vulpro (Vulture Conservation Project)
- Vulture Conservancy
- SAVE (Saving Asia’s Vultures from Extinction)
- Ventana Wildlife Society’s California Condor Recovery Program.
- BirdLife International
- Wildlife Conservation Society Vulture Programs
- Wildlife Conservation Society Condor Programs
- African Wildlife Foundation
- Tswalu Kalahari Vulture Safe Zone
- International Union for the Conservation of Nature
- Fauna and Flora International
- The Peregrine Fund California Condor Conservation
- Tusk Vulture Conservation Project
- Cheyenne Mountain Zoo African Vulture Conservation
- San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance
- Science News: Vultures are vulnerable to extinction
More Bird Resources on this Website
Here are some more stories, videos, and bird sketching resources I’ve written in the past.
- Celebrate Vultures
- My Costa Rica Birding Big (sketching) Day
- Tips for Sketching Birds
- All About Cranes and How to Sketch Them
- How to Draw Hummingbirds (video)
- Identifying Warblers in the Spring
- John James Audubon
- World Penguin Day and Sketching Video
- The American Dipper
- Autumnal Recrudescence
- A Black-headed Grosbeak Nest (video)
- Kid’s Bird Coloring Pages